Powering up EBay OpenStack Cloud – Under the hood. Summary:
eBay Inc. has one of the largest deployments of Openstack clouds and has been at the forefront of deploying Openstack in several environments that include eBay MarketPlaces and PayPal production, development and QA environments. We address the problems and solution we developed in supporting EBay’s Gross Merchandise Volume of $83 Billion and Paypal’Total Payment Volume of $228 Billion. Most of the conversation revolves around under the cloud sub systems. Some of the areas we will discuss are listed below:
• Asset On-boarding into Datacenters
- Reduction in on-boadring time from weeks to hours from Dock to Cache.
• Asset data transparency
- Total datacenter assets reporting with 95% data confidence
• Asset remediation
- Unknown percentage of assets in faulty to less than 1.5%
• Automated switch configurations
- Days to provision a switch (tickets) to minutes (automation)
• Cloud Capacity Additions
- Increased consistency and reliability of the data plane hypervisors
• Hypervisor drift management
- Batch mitigation to inline mitigation.
• Automated Availability Zone build outs
• Control plane automation
• Control plane remediation
We will share our processes, systems and solicit the community feed back in moving some of the thinking into OpenStack.