Cloud Federation is the concept of bringing different Cloud Service Providers into a single platform which provides interoperability and portability. As the future of cloud computing is getting commoditized, Federation is becoming a necessity. Such a Federation can be consumed through a cloud marketplace that offers a Catalog of services along with the metadata and insights about the providers.
- Federated Identity management without compromising on the security of the cloud provider.
- Workload management and orchestration.
- Managing the cloud federation through common API's.
- Benchmarking the service specification against the realized performance.
- Usage data consolidation across providers.
The above challenges are addressed by some products partially.
Benefits for Consumers: Consumers can search, compare and select services they need for their applications and workloads. The marketplace will provide insights for consumers to make their selection decisions on cloud services and their providers.
Benefits for Providers: Marketplace helps the provider in monetizing the unutilized capacity which can be used by another provider with the same cloud platform. Marketplace also plays a key role in promoting adoption of new service offerings and innovative delivery models.
This talk will discuss a detailed view point on the following:
- Cloud Federation & Marketplace
- Key players of Cloud Marketplace
- The role of OpenStack ecosystem in realizing a true Cloud federation